Better together?



More often than not we praise and award those individuals who make a real difference in their field or in some area of service.  The actions of an individual are acclaimed and to be emulated. There is nothing wrong with this.  Parents, teachers and mentors of all kinds will tell you that they work very hard to raise the children and youth in their charge to be people who will excel in life. 

How does this gel or dovetail with teamwork?  Is it possible for both realities to coexist and actually make our world a better place?  I think so – though it takes an inner strength and self-understanding that develops with time and experience.  

This topic comes to mind as I watch some of the many interviews with our outgoing presidential team, Barack Obama and Joe Biden.  This is not a commentary on one party verses the other.  Rather, this is a reflection on what I have been reading and hearing in recent days.  When Vice President Biden spoke after having been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom with Distinction, he said that though he knew the buck stopped at the President’s desk, he always felt part of the team.  He went on to say that there was very little rivalry between his staff and the president’s staff because they were united in purpose and mission.  

In my experience, this is truly the bottom line. Individuals can come together and will come together if they share a common purpose and mission.  There is more. These individuals have to be so convinced of the greater good possible that they put individual egos aside.  It is impossible to be looking out for yourself (for #1) if you are truly looking toward something greater.  It sounds pretty simple and basic, yet I believe this is one of the hardest parts of living as a person of faith.

This week in the Catholic liturgy we read again of Jesus’ baptism by John. John says of Jesus: “I am not fit to unfasten his sandals” and “I must decrease as he must increase” and again “a man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me.” As a person of faith, listening to the call from God, John understood that more was happening than meets the eye.  After much prayer and experience, John was able to make his agenda God’s agenda and be satisfied to be one who pointed to Jesus and let him take it from there.  

What does it mean to you to lay your ego aside for something greater?  What is difficult about this for you?  For me, there is a certain pride in accomplishment and a desire to do the very best I can and get credit! It seems that as I pay more attention to the greater good and the call of the Gospel, pride and recognition lessen in importance.  When that shift happens, I can truly appreciate the works of others and the strength of a team.  I participate more fully and can be completely invested in the mission and purpose of our work together.  It becomes fun and engaging and has such movement toward greater wholeness for our part of humanity.  I find it contagious and I wonder why I would ever “go it alone” when we can do so much more together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Joining in the Divine Dance