From Gratefulness to Happiness

I recently viewed a TED talk by Brother David Steindl-Rast on gratefulness and happiness.  The Gospel reading for the upcoming Sunday is the story of the Transfiguration of Jesus (Mark 9: 2-10) and the second reading is that wonderful passage from Romans reminding us that if God is for us, who can be against us.  This combination of input for our prayer and reflection is quite robust.

Brother David outlines a most simple method for living gratefully:  Stop, Look and Go.  I believe the scriptures say much the same.  Press the pause button in our busy lives and breathe deeply God’s lavish love and care for us, recalling that it is God who gives us all good things.  Open our eyes, ears and hearts to the wonders available to us; opportunities to embrace God present in all people and all creation, as in the persons of Elijah and Moses.  And then, we move gratefully forward, carrying with us all that is given to us with new vigor and imagination.

In my role as a member of the Leadership Team of a Religious Congregation, one of my duties is to “visit” each sister for whom I am the contact.  I have had quite a few of these “visitation” conversations in the last few weeks.  As I pull the threads of visitation through the fabric of this talk and these scriptures, I am mindful of the profound sense of gratitude that exists among us.  Sister after Sister has spoken to me of her awareness of God’s great generosity to her personally and to the Congregation now and throughout our history.  I have heard stories of deep gratitude which has led Sisters to a lifetime of trust and happiness even in the midst of challenges.  These conversations are for me a great inspiration and help ground me ever more deeply as a member of this Congregation.

Gratefulness is an attitude we are all encouraged to cultivate.  It is a particular response to our daily living; one that we choose. There are as many (if not more) opportunities for us to choose to be grateful that to choose to be miserly or stingy. 

What strikes you as you move into this 2nd week of Lent?  I invite you to share the fruits of your prayer with others as we together discover the presence of God anew in our relationships and our world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?