Fan that flame into fire

 


It is Election Day and somehow it feels safe for me to once again take up my keyboard and jot some musings.  I have found these past months with the political drama, the civil unrest and COVID-19, that I am exhausted.  How about you? 

I try to focus on my work and friends and family, but everything I do is colored by these realities.  I cannot plan to see my friends or family without figuring out how to do it safely.  I have become adept with the technologies of FaceTime, ZOOM and kids messenger.  Reimagining how do to everything takes so much energy.  At Bethany House we talk of how “open” can we get the shelter and food pantry and keep the guests and volunteers safe.  At Church, I cannot bring communion to those who really have a desire to receive because I am afraid I might bring them more than the Eucharist.  With friends, we negotiate any type of gathering with questions like “how comfortable are you with …” or should we just ZOOM? 

The political drama playing itself out causes me great distress.  Not talking about who any one of us is voting for, but rather how the lack of civil dialogue and speaking truth is deepening the divides in our country and around the world.  It seems to me we are losing basic human kindness and Gospel respect for all life; for all creation.  So many seem to be looking out primarily for themselves and if there is anything left over, they may offer a helping hand to another.  This is fueled by fear and the need to be right.  Egos are fragile and seem to be on the line on every side. 

The reality of prejudice and lack of regard for those who do not look like me looms large in our world.  The need to bring this to our attention is fiery and insistent in ways unlike times before.  People of all races, creeds and sexual orientations have had enough.  My guess is that some of the current energy around this is fueled by our inability to do anything about the virus – but I can read a book, talk to others, carry a sign, safely protest with a mask. 

“To mask or not to mask” is another fight that many want to engage.  This too, disguised as a statement of “my freedom” seems more to be about something I can control when there is so much around me that I am not able to control.  As human beings, we often push against constraints that we believe we can win when there is so much more and so many bigger issues we cannot.

There are other flash points as well in our world today.  There are the frightening fires and terrible storms – we are up to “Eta” as of this writing.  There is the hope to hold on to a job or to find one or to receive some relief from the government. 

In this time when nothing seems to be as it always was, where is God?  How is your faith informing all of this? Where do you find your peace? 

I look to the people around me who are holding on and reaching out.  I see so many willing to volunteer or donate.  I have gotten to know a tremendous group of young people who show up and who want to make a difference.  I see people carrying others when they are down and allowing themselves to be carried when necessary.  My faith is kindled by these demonstrations of love and kindness.  My faith is sparked by every peaceful protest and every positive reflection offered by the media.  Our world seems to be on fire and only our faith in God and in one another can quench the flames of destruction and fan the fire of God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Joining in the Divine Dance