Lent – a time for making space

On Wednesday most Christians will begin the season of Lent. This is a time of preparation for the celebration of Easter.  Catholic Christians begin this time with the celebration of Ash Wednesday, when we receive ashes on our foreheads, a reminder that in this time we are encouraged to turn from sin and embrace the Gospel and teachings of Jesus. Each year I ask myself the question “how will this year be different?”

I am mindful of the scriptures of the season.  On Thursday of this week in the Catholic lectionary, we will read from the Book of Deuteronomy, Chapter 30, verses 15 – 20.  This is a beautiful and thought provoking passage.  This is particularly true toward the end when we read that God sets before us life and death, the blessing and the curse.  The next phrase is a command:  “Choose life, then, that you may live!”  Throughout my journey of faith I have found this passage to be challenging and comforting in times of grief and overwhelming stress.  It is as though the words of the scriptures come to life and pull me out of darkness toward the light.

These days it seems that I am perversely drawn to watch the news; read the headlines and open every Facebook news post that comes my way.  Mostly, the news makes me angry, fearful and more than a little embarrassed.  It feels to me that we are living in a time of every person for him or herself and a time when we are closing our doors and minds to the wonderful diversity God has created.  Whereas I felt we used to live with a spirit of curiosity and openness, it now seems to me that we are more suspicious and closed. What is even more disturbing is the constant derisive commentary from all sides, tearing one another down rather than building one another up.


Regardless of where you fall politically, I am guessing you are feeling the stress and anxiety the tweeting, reporting and rhetoric is generating.  Is entering into this truly choosing life?  It is not for me.  So, the question is, how will I choose life in the wake of these realities?  What can I do to dwell in blessing and possibility? I believe that as I prepare my heart for the celebration of Easter, the resurrection of Jesus, I am called to create a space and a home for life, for possibility. The question this year is HOW?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?