This Feels Like "Manna" Time


This week, as we continue living in a time of COVID-19 and stay at home orders and shut downs, I have experienced it as what I call “manna” time. When the Israelites were wandering in the dessert, the food they had brought with them from Egypt was running out and they were hungry.  They complained bitterly to Moses, begging him to intercede with God on their behalf for food.  And so the all loving and generous God provided manna or bread from heaven.  It appeared in the morning like dew on the grass and was enough to satisfy the people for the day, bringing sustenance to their bodies and spirits.  If someone tried to keep some of the food overnight in case there was a need for it the next day, it became rotten and was inedible.  In giving this gift of nourishment, God was also giving a gift of faith.  The appearance of this food was a test of faith. Did the Israelites believe that God would continue to bless and care for them, or did they feel they needed to set some aside, not trusting that God would continue to provide? 

I watch the news and the “manna” I see being showered down on us comes in so many ways.  There is the manna of information provided to us by the CDC and medical professionals as they try to help us understand the virus and the impact it is having in our world.  There is also the daily nourishment of kindnesses among neighbors, family members, friends and total strangers that far outweighs the more self-centered acts we hear about.  There is the incredible work in my community on behalf of the underserved; those who are food insecure; those needing some economic relief and those struggling physically and emotionally.  Of course, none of this is perfect and there are still so many in need and much we do not see.  I understand that there are many who do not have enough. 

In the news of late is the work of José Andrés, a celebrity chef who is making it his work to feed so many.  He has visited the sites of disasters all over the world in recent years, mobilizing the local restaurateurs, servers, farmers and servers to gather what is locally produced and perhaps going to waste and transforming it into nutritious and delicious food for those most in need.  Now, through Feed America, he is doing the same here in our country, to feed essential workers, children, families and individuals in need during the Corona virus outbreak.  He is convinced we have ENOUGH to feed all of us, if we but gathered the produce, seafood, dairy and meat we are disposing of because there seems to be less of a “market.”  He believes that we are able to feed everyone, with some creativity and imagination.  This work is an act of faith and trust in the goodness of people and of God.

I notice when I try to “hold back” so that I have enough for another day, that which I was holding so tightly loses its importance and value.  I do so much better when I receive the gifts of the day and use them wisely, confident that whatever I need tomorrow will be given to me.  I have enough, I am enough.  I have a home and food and clothing.  I have friends and family and the technology to reach out to them.  I am employed (albeit at a much reduced schedule) and I can pay my bills.  I have enough to give away – to help someone in need.  And I do not need to hoard.  I believe there will be enough tomorrow and tomorrow.

More than all of that, I have eyes to see and ears to hear the stories of others and how their experiences these days are also enough.  Do you receive what you need each day, materially, emotionally and spiritually?  Where do you find it?  How can you help others see it and harvest it? The Israelites needed each other to gather and prepare the manna so that all might be fed.  We too need one another to get through these days and to have enough.  Together we can bolster our faith when it lags (and it will) and we can care for each other, we can share what we have knowing we are enough. This is “manna” time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?