A Most Unusual Lent - 2020


I thought this was as good a time as any to get back to my blog - which feels like an old friend, reaching out to friends new and old.  I write this on Friday evening, April 3, 2020.  Here in New York  State we are at about the end of week 3 of "stay at home" recommendations and such turmoil as we live through this world wide health crisis, COVID-19.  Oddly enough, this pandemic has arrived to coincide with the Lenten season.  This is the season when we are called to conversion each year.

I have had several conversations with others about this whole idea of conversion.  Living through this health crisis has made me ask "how will I be different?"  This is not business as usual for Lent.  This is far more dramatic.  I am understanding more the concept of transformation vs change.  Being removed from daily errands, going to work, seeing my friends and colleagues and going to Church, I am so aware of the many blessings in my life.  I am also aware of how "busy" I am with things that really don't matter all that much.  I am spending more time with the sisters in my house.  I am getting to some of the things around the house that I have let go.  I am creatively staying in touch with friends and family.  I am taking advantage of this time to pray and read more and breathe deeply.  

Around the world things are different too.  It is said that the earth and atmosphere are healing because of less pollution and stress as we travel less and stay home more.  Neighbors are reaching out to neighbors, oftentimes people they don't even know, to check in and to offer help if needed.  People are seeking creative ways to lift their own spirits and to share that lift with others, like concerts from front porches to ZOOM family gatherings and concerts to faith sharing groups via video conferencing to posting a laugh or two on social media.  We are becoming changed together.

So here's the challenging part 2 of the questions I ask myself:  how will I maintain this transformation?  Or will I go back to all the old, busy ways of business as usual?  Will there be a new normal for me?  Will there be a new normal for US?  

I know I only have the power to change my behaviors and attitudes.  However, one lesson we are learning from this is that we need one another.  We realize that we miss the connections that come in so many ways throughout our days.  So, if each of us makes a commitment to this transformation in our own hearts and lives, think of what we can do together.  We can offer one another support when we start to slip into old behaviors and we can invite conversations about our lives and what is most important all the time.  We can hold one another accountable to doing our part to learn from this time and, as people of faith, to make the world a better, more whole and holy place.  

Here are some suggestions of how to make the transformations inspired by this time of social distancing and pandemic really stick with us:

  • Keep a journal of your thoughts and dreams during this time.
  • When you reach out to friends or family with whom you have lost touch, do so with an open heart, ready to start fresh.
  • Count your blessings each night - literally and write them down to pray with at a later time.
  • Keep a blessing or gratitude jar (any container will do) and write down one thing you are grateful for at the end of the day and put it in the jar.  If you live with others, make this a household project.  Remember, gratitude is an antidote for fear.
  • Make a commitment to continue any virtual gatherings you have started with friends and family living at a distance.
What are your ideas?  Share them in the comments so that might all benefit.  Blessings to you, faithful reader as we prepare to begin Holy Week like never before!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?