Being in Communion, part #2


  In my most recent post, I spoke of trying to worship via video, celebrating in an empty Church.  Today I offer these reflections on receiving communion under these circumstances.  As a Roman Catholic, being present at Mass and receiving communion; the body and blood of Christ, is core to our faith and to our worship.  In this time social distancing, isolation and prayer this is physically impossible.


At the beginning of the “stay at home” order, I thought I had received communion for the last time in what promised to be a long time.  Turns out I was wrong.  Being one of the few staff members in the Church for the video taping of our celebrations, I am able to receive each time. 

In these weeks I have gained an appreciation for the sacrament of the Eucharist like never before.  First of all, it is a privilege to be able to receive.  Because of the threat of spreading the virus, we, the pastoral ministers, are not bringing communion to the sick.  The few of us present receive as part of the celebration and that is it.  A feeling of deep joy and nourishment washes over me each time and I am aware how fortunate I am.

However, there is another feeling that weighs heavy on me and surprises me.  This is a feeling of responsibility.  After I receive I am filled with the awareness that I am receiving on behalf of so many. Each time I see a rush of parishioner faces.  I am aware of family and friends who long for the Eucharist.  As each individual or family comes to my mind, I offer my prayers for them.  It has become a way of connecting to the larger faith community like never before.  I also bring the prayers and concerns of those I know and those I do not who are not Roman Catholic.  The prayer after communion has become for me a means for deeper connection with so many.  I am in awe.

I believe we are all called to this awareness and this prayer.  Whether we receive communion at this time or not, whether it is part of our tradition or not.  As people of faith, we have been given a gift from God; the gift of prayer and intercession.  It seems to me this time in our world is calling us to hold others (even those we do not know) in prayer and take their needs to God.  We are being challenged to care for others in our communities and beyond almost exclusively in prayer like never before.  Our more “active” prayers of running errands, visiting, embracing and feeding are not accessible to us now.  The gift of prayer is ours to use. 

Know that each time I receive communion, I think of you and of the many needs of our world.  I sense the responsibility that comes with the gift.  It is a privilege and honor.  I cannot wait to share it with others – face to face, with rejoicing and hope. In the meantime, let us be in communion with one another through prayer and outreach over the air waves!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?