Living in the Present Moment

A friend of mine has suggested that this time of living with COVID-19 is really a call to live even more in the present moment.  I used to think that I did a pretty good job of living in the moment, but I am learning how untrue this is.  As long ago scheduled events drop off my calendar like leaves from a tree in autumn and as I try to figure out what to do each day, I am learning that I am a creature of habit; that I like being productive in a predictable way; that I believe in some longe range planning and that I define myself at least somewhat by my position/occupation.  I believe that each of these things are valuable to a point.  However, when this is all we have, then staying in and appreciating the present moment is a real challenge.

As a person of faith in the divine, in a God who became one of us to show us the way to return to God, I believe that God is in everything.  Even when I find myself in a mess of a relationship or a difficult decision or trying to negotiate the challenges of living through this pandemic, I believe that God is here. And I believe that God is all I need; that God is all I have.  And yet, there is still that voice inside me that wants to plan and define and know what the next steps are and how to get there. 

I have heard that we are headed to a “new normal.”  I have felt it and said it myself.  But even that is in the future.  I have asked myself the question, “who will I be when we are on the other side of this?” This too is a statement about some future state.  The fact is, we are here NOW.  The life we are living today is so important.  We are not just marking time until the virus is passed.  As women and men of faith, we are called to live each day to the fullest.  We are reminded to seek God today and in that search, we will find hope and meaning. 

What does this living in the moment look like?  For each of us it is different, but there are some common elements.  First of all, though we might be making some plans, this means that what is most important is what we do and say today.  Secondly, in the living of today, we do the very best we can and we are satisfied with it.  It may be that today the best I can do is get out of bed, get dressed and walk the dog.  On another day, perhaps I reach out to another on the phone, through the mail or email.  Maybe today is a day just to sit, read a book and have a cup of tea.  And for others, the day may be full of work or school.  How we fill our days is not the point.  The call to live each day is that we simply put one foot in front of the other in whatever way we are able. Finally, I believe that living in the moment also involves asking God to bless each moment.  Whether in a morning offering or a night prayer and examen or something in between.  Invite God in to these moments. This will further your relationship with God and will give you strength and courage to move to the next moment.

Perhaps we are headed to a “new normal” but let’s not forget to live now in the “normal” we have been given. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?