Now is not the time for Magical Thinking

In this new “pandemic” reality in which we find ourselves, I struggle with the thought that all of this is of God (or a punishment from God) and if we just had enough faith, we would be okay or that the virus and all its effects; physical, practical and economic would be straightened out and we would go back to the way things were.  These are my thoughts and by sharing them, I am hoping to open the conversation, rather than cause distress.

So many have referred to a “new normal” toward which we are headed.  Social media is peppered with spiritually uplifting memes meant to remind the reader that underneath all the fear and upset is something more solid and reliable.  For me, as a believer, that something is God.  I believe in a God who created the universe and all its inhabitants out of a deep love and a desire to be in relationship.  I believe in a God who loves the world so very much that God became one like us in every way except sin. This is a God who is present and active in our world today.  I believe there exists darkness and sin, which we often see evidence of in the human condition. 

Why are my musings running in this direction today?  As you may have noticed, with the reopening of stores and businesses, people are looking ahead to further openings of salons, restaurants for dine-in, gyms and of course, churches.  Some faith community leaders have been lobbying for earlier openings, in spite of huge rates of infections.  For some, there is magical thinking happening, ascribing to the thought that if only we believed strongly enough, God will take care of us and keep us healthy.  It seems to me much of the anxiety swirling around all of this stems from our fears and our desire to return to “the way things were” so that we can push past this terrible world-wide experience.  The human spirit finds it hard to rest in a space of uncertainty and grief.  We long for wholeness and relief.  And why not?  There is nothing wrong with not wanting to dwell in a place of shadow and distress. 

However, the reality around the globe is that we are STILL here.  As people of faith we hold the tension of darkness and light, always moving toward the light.  We know the darkness and at the same time we believe in the coming of the light.  And as a believer, I believe that God is present in both the dark and the light.  I have come to know that God dwells with us even when I do not understand and have serious doubts and fears.  God is equally present in times of light, joy and hope.  I do not believe that God is a great puppeteer in the sky holding all the strings.  I believe God created the cosmos and participates in it in lively and generative ways.  I believe that God weeps in times of war, racial tensions, extreme poverty, environmental crisis, natural disaster and yes, pandemics.  I believe God rejoices when healing, reconciliation and wholeness are occurring. 

God created us with brains and hearts and hands and feet to serve God.  The scientists and medical professionals of our time know what they are talking about.  The advice we are being given may not always be 100% spot on, because we are discovering and learning and sharing more and more every day.  However, I do know that the scientific world knows much more about this than I do, and I want to listen to them and make plans going forward with their work as a foundation. 

This is not a time for magical thinking.  This is a time for stepping out in faith, a faith that is as informed and formed as possible. This is a time for prayer and for sharing our faith so that we might together build a world that is more whole, more holy.  What do you think?


Comments

  1. Thank you, Karen. I believe that the beautiful God who made all of creation also made wisdom, knowledge and science. And I believe that the miracle in our time is the advance that science has made in coming to understand the natural occurrences in our universe. It fills me with hope and joy to know that our human race has responded to God by learning more, by developing more, by being healers and helpers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is ours to do?

Fan that flame into fire

Could we move any slower?